Los Angeles County Extends "Safer at Home" Order
WEST COVINA, CA, April 10, 2020 – The City of West Covina has extended its Safer at Home Order effectively immediately until May 15, 2020. This provides consistency with the extended Safer at Home order issued by the county of Los Angeles Public Health Department. West Covina Mayor Tony Wu reminds West Covina residents “To protect each other by wearing face coverings when in public to avoid the risk of serious illness and death”. “This is an order, not a suggestion”, said Mayor Wu, speaking for the City Council.
The extension of the order was issued by the Los Angeles County Public Health Department on April 10, 2020. It is effective immediately and requires:
"All persons are to remain in their homes or at their place of residence, except to travel to and from Essential Businesses, to work at or provide service to a Healthcare Operation or Essential Infrastructure, to engage in Essential Activities, or to perform Minimum Basic Operations for non-essential business, while practicing Social Distancing”.
Furthermore, Essential Business are required to implement, no later than 11:59 PM on April 15, 2020, a Social Distancing Protocol, to include a requirement to provide all employees, who come into contact with other employees and/or the public with a cloth face covering to where while performing duties that involve contact with others.
You are still able to:
- Go to the grocery store;
- Go to the pharmacy to pick up medications and other healthcare necessities;
- Go to restaurants offering delivery, drive thru, or carry out service;
- Go to medical appointments (check with your doctor or provider first);
- Take a walk, ride your bike, and be in nature for exercise ;
- Walk your pets and take them to the veterinarian if necessary; and
- Help someone to get necessary supplies.
All while practicing Social Distancing and wearing a cloth face covering.
Social Distancing is defined as:
- Maintaining at least six feet of physical distance from individuals who are not a part of the same household;
- Frequently washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; or using hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol;
- Wearing a cloth face coverings while out in public; and
- Avoiding all social interactions outside the household when sick with fever or cough.
You should not
- Gather with any number of people occurring outside a single household or living unit;
- Go to work unless you are providing essential services as defined by this Order;
- Visit friends and family if there is no urgent need;
- Travel to or from a job outside the City, unless to perform essential services; and
- Visit loved ones in the hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing facility, or other residential care facility;
- Visit beaches, indoor or outdoor playgrounds, trails or trailheads; and
- Shop at malls, swap meets, flea markets, and in-person operations of all non-essential businesses.
The full order can be found on the City’s website along with the County’s Social Distancing Protocol form, and the County’s guidelines for the use of face coverings.
Always check with trusted sources for the latest accurate information about COVID-19:
- City of West Covina
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- California Department of Public Health
- California Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
For questions or to learn more about West Covina contact City Hall at (626) 939-8414.