The United States Small Business Administration (SBA) announced National Small Business Week is May 5 – May 11, 2019. To commemorate National Small Business Week, the City of West Covina was delighted to announce that we had hosted our 4th Annual West Covina Small Business Week (WCSBW) Program. On behalf of the City, we invited you to join us and support our local small businesses and entrepreneurs, and celebrate the big contributions they make to our community.
To recognize business’s success and commitment to the community, the City had sought nominations to honor four local small businesses that have contributed to the community during the 3rd annual WCSBW Awards Ceremony.
The WCSBW Program included a presentation from SCORE on Wednesday, May 8, 2019, and concluded with an Award Ceremony, GWC Member Recognition Awards, and the annual Mixer on Thursday, May 9, 2019. The “Dream Big, Start Small” Mixer was hosted by GWC. In addition to the event, there was a Business Expo. For more information please see below.
Stay up to date on the West Covina Small Business Week 2018 via the City Website and our social media (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) at @westcovinacity.
The City partnered with U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), Small Business Development Center (SBDC) located at University of La Verne and Pasadena City College, SCORE, and Greater West Covina Business Association (GWC) to host this year’s WCSBW.
WCSBW included the following events:
- Wednesday | May 8, 2019 – Panel Presentation
- Thursday | May 9, 2019 - Award Ceremony, GWC Member Recognition Awards, & “Dream BIG, Start Small” Mixer
- Mixer hosted by GWC
- Keynote Speaker: Victor Parker, Los Angeles District Director of SBA
- Time: 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Location: El Torito - 3133 E. Garvey Avenue, North, West Covina, CA 91791
- Ticketed Event: Purchase tickets at www.greaterwestcovina.org
- $10 Ticket (GWC Members)
- $15 Ticket
*Panel Presentation relocated from the Council Chambers to the MRC room (room 304), located on the 3rd floor
WCSBW 2019 Awards
The City hosted the award ceremony at the 2019 WCSBW. The City had announced two winners at the WCSBW Awards Ceremony on Thursday, May 9, 2019. The award categories are below:
- Small Business of the Year Award
This award honors a West Covina small business that has shown growth and/or sustainability of their business and a record of community involvement.
- Women in Business Award
This award honors a West Covina small business owned by a woman that has shown growth and/or sustainability of their business and has been an advocate for women in business.
- Veterans in Business Award
This award honors a West Covina small business owned by a U.S. military veteran that has shown growth and/or sustainability of their business and has been an advocate for the veteran community.
West Covina Small Business Award Nominations: (now closed)
The winners of the awards were announced at the WCSBW Awards Ceremony held on Thursday, May 9, 2019.
The City of West Covina introduced the West Covina Small Business Awards in 2017. The following are thee winners from the previous West Covina SBW Award:
- Small Business of the Year Award - Mezzateranean (Owner, Maya and Emil Aoun)
- Women in Business Award - Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory (Owner, Rachael Sproles)
- Small Business of the Year Award
- Women in Business Award - Capital Direct Funding, Inc. (Owner, Sandra Williams)
- Innovative Use of Resources Award - Gaucho Grill Argentine Steakhouse (Owners, Kirk Cartozian and Adrian Amosa) - (Nominated by the University of La Verne Small Business Development Center)
- Small Business of the Year Award - Crossfit Insurgent (Owner, Brian Franzen)
- Women in Business Award - The Lab Creative Arts Studio (Owner, Valerie Ramirez)
- Innovative Use of Resources Award - Diltex, Inc. (Owners, Kinoo and Dil Singh)
(Nominated by the University of La Verne Small Business Development Center)