The City of West Covina purchased the three "Coastal Sage Scrub/Golf Course" assets located at the BKK Landfill site (130-acres) and the rights to the area on the top deck that is under license (84.27-acres) from the former Redevelopment Agency in August of 2018.
The City has released a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the 218-acre Development Opportunity Site that consists of City owned parcels including the three "Coastal Sage Scrub/Golf Course" assets and the 84-acre Top Deck that is under license. RFP seeks development proposals for either the entire 218-acre site or a portion of the site. For information on the RFP and Development Opportunity Site please see below:
- Development Opportunity Site Aerial
- Request for Proposals (RFP)
- Previously Proposed Development Project: Singpoli Group LLC
- Additional Documents
The RFP is available via Planetbids. The following are the dates regarding the RFP:
- Wednesday, April 24, 2019
- 11:00 a.m. to the City Clerk’s Office
- Tour of Site:
- Thursday, April 4, 2019
- 9:00 a.m. / 11:00 a.m. / 1:00 p.m. / 3:00 p.m.
- Please email email@example.com by April 2, 2019 to make a reservation for a tour
- Questions are due by Monday, April 8, 2019 by 5:30 p.m.
- Direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Development Opportunity Site- 218-acre”
To obtain the RFP, please register with Planetbid and select one of the following categories to view the RFP: All Notifications, New Single-Family Housing (except Operative Buildings), New Multifamily Housing (except Operative Buildings), New Housing Operative Builders, Industrial Building Construction, Commercial and Institutional Building, Land Subdivision, Site Preparation Contractors, Construction and Mining (except Oil Well) Machinery and Requirement Merchant Wholesalers, Offices of Real Estate Agents and Brokers, Other Activities Related to Real Estate, Architectural Services, Landscape Architectural Services, Industrial Design Services, Environmental Consulting Services, Promoters of Performing Arts, Sports, and Similar Events with Facilities, Nature Parks and Similar Institutions, Golf Courses and County Clubs, Fitness and Recreational Sports Centers, All Other Amusement and Recreation Industries, or Hotels (except Casino Hotels) and Motels.
- First ENA:
On October 17, 2016, Singpoli submitted an unsolicited Letter of Intent (LOI) for the purchase of three of the Agency assets located at the BKK Landfill site (130-acres), and rights to the area on the top deck the Agency had under license (84.27-acres). This first ENA was approved by the Successor Agency in December of 2016. During the term of this first ENA, Singpoli presented a project that included a commercial development with retail, dining, and entertainment uses, and a hotel.
Singpoli presented a revised site plan addressing concerns over the scale of the proposal in September of 2017. The new site plan included an equestrian training facility, virtual reality park, hotel, training facilities for the Police and Fire departments, and solar greenhouses. The Successor Agency allowed the ENA to expire in September 2017. At that time the Successor Agency requested that Singpoli hold two community meetings to seek community input. After hosting the two community meetings in December of 2017, staff presented the City Council with a summary of the community input obtained at the two meetings.
Site Plan: Equestrian Site Plan
- Second ENA:
On December 19, 2017, the City Council approved a new (second) ENA with Singpoli for the purchase of the same assets. As part of the ENA approval, the City Council requested that staff and Singpoli meet with the Regulatory Agencies and provide the City Council with a summary of those meetings. Staff provided the City Council a summary of the meetings in April of 2018.
As required by the terms of the ENA extension provided in May of 2018, Singpoli hired a biologist and provided the delivers by the October 26, 2018 deadline. While Singpoli met the terms of the ENA extension that expired on December The City Council allowed the ENA to expire in December 14, 2018, directing staff to host two Community Workshops.
Site Plan: Recreational Site Plan
- Aerials /Site Plans:
- Development Opportunity Site Aerial
- Singpoli Group LLC – Equestrian Site Plan
- Singpoli Group LLC – Recreational Site Plan (Most Recent)
- Background of the Sportsplex Project:
- Community Input:
- Environmental Agencies:
- CalRecycle - Search 19-AF-0001 (BKK Sanitary Landfill)
- Department of Toxic Substances Control (for information on the Consent Decrees pertaining to the landfill monitoring systems)
- Regulatory Agency input on Singpoli Group LLC Equestrian Site Plan: April 17, 2018 Staff Report
- Dated November 2016: "Coastal Sage Scrub/Golf Course" Assets Appraisal
- Oversight Board Approval of Sale to City:
- RFP Exhibits
- Exhibit A - Development Opportunity Site Aerial
- Exhibit B - Supplemental EIR
- Exhibit C - Habitat Mitigation & Monitoring Plan
- Exhibit D - Coastal Sage Scrub Conservation & Monitoring Plan
- Exhibit E - DTSC - Perspective Purchase Agreement
- Exhibit F - US EPA - Perspective Purchase Agreement
- Exhibit G - Environmental Restriction & Covenant and Agreement to Restrict Use of Property (parcel 2)
- Exhibit H - License Agreement