A maximum of two (2) major promotional events may be held each calendar year for Commercial businesses (20 days total, maximum). For further information, please call the Planning Department (626) 939-8422.
Items required to apply for a Temporary Use Permit.
Application must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to the beginning of the event.
1. Certificate of Liability Insurance: Must be a minimum $1,000,000 CSL for any event requiring a temporary use permit as well as a minimum of $5,000,000 per occurrence is required for any carnival offering mechanical rides. Required to have the liability insurance certificate and an endorsement naming the City of West Covina as additional insured for the purposes of the event.
2. Plot Plan: Must indicate the areas to be used for the event. Also, specifically identify the various activities that will be taking place on the plot plan and on the application form (e.g. catering truck, food/game booths, band, stage, etc.).
3. Fees: Minimum fee of $800 is required. Additional charges may be required at $96.36 per hour of staff time.
4. Additional Permits:
- West Covina Fire Department:
- Special Event Permit - $299
- Required when large tents, canopies, use of open flames, or certain activities are planned.
- Building and Engineering Division:
5. Property Owner's Signature (or their authorized designee): A signed letter from the property owner is also acceptable (letter from property owner must give applicant permission to apply for temporary use of property).
6. Clean-Up Agreement: A fee of $100 will be billed to the individual or organization if the debris is not cleaned within 10 days from last day of event. The City will use this fee to defray the cost of clean up.
7. Business License: Obtained online from the City's website prior to the start of the event. The fee for the business license is determined by the number of employees (see fee schedule on business license application). Separate filing of all items is required for each location/lot.
8. Proof of Notification to surrounding businesses: Only for businesses in shopping centers. Must show written evidence that the other businesses in the center were contacted individually in advance, invited to participate in the event, and were informed that they must also receive approval for their proposed activities.
9. Application: Bring application and required items to the Planning Division for submittal. The Planning Division is open Monday-Thursday from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. Required at least 3 weeks prior to the beginning of the event.